* Mizzou's alltime leading scorer of the Big 12 era is Arthur Johnson (1,759 points), who as of the start of this season was the only Tiger among the Big 12's top 20 scorers.
* The oldest Big 12 basketball program is... Nebraska. Wow. This is the 115th season of Husker basketball. Heading into the Big 12 tournament, Nebraska has amassed 1,487 wins, none of which came in the NCAA Tournament. The Huskers won four conference titles in the 1910s, but have only two shared regular-season conference titles since (1949 and 1950). After Nebraska leaves for the Big Ten, Kansas will have the Big 12's oldest program (113th season, a slightly higher win total of 2,032).
* The only two current Big 12 teams with an alltime losing record are Iowa State (.493 heading into this season) and Baylor (.474).
* Texas has the fourth-most Big 12 Tournament wins (18-14), but the Longhorns have never won the tournament. Not to further the Longhorns-choke-in-big-games stereotype, but Texas is 0-5 in Big 12 Tournament title games.
* Missouri (15-13 in Big 12 tourney play) has played in the Big 12 Tournament title game three times with three different coaches (lost with Norm Stewart in 1997, lost with Quin Snyder in 2003, won with Mike Anderson in 2009).
* The only four current league members without a Final Four are Missouri (one win away five times), Texas Tech (two wins away five times), Texas A&M (two wins away twice) and Nebraska (four wins away six times).
* In the Big 12 era, Missouri has the league's fifth best record in conference games (127-117), fifth best record in Big 12 tourney games (15-13) and fifth best overall record (269-183). Missouri is currently fifth in alltime wins as well, and fourth in alltime win percentage. Colorado and Nebraska are behind Missouri in all of these categories, so these rankings won't change when those two leave the Big 12.
* The eight teams to win in Kansas' Allen Fieldhouse in the Big 12 era: 1999 Missouri, 1999 Nebraska, 2000 Iowa State, 2001 Iowa State, 2005 Iowa State, 2006 Kansas State, 2007 Texas A&M, 2011 Texas.
*The only North teams to win both regular-season games with Kansas in a single season: 1999 Nebraska, 2000 Iowa State and 2001 Iowa State. Old Larry Eustachy got after it when he wasn't partying with Mizzou sorority girls.
* Oklahoma won 26 straight men's basketball games over Baylor in Big 12 play before Baylor broke through with three straight wins over the Sooners. Oklahoma won their most recent game, and now they'll play in the Big 12 Tournament.
* The Big 12 Tournament has been in Kansas City 10 of 15 times, including this edition. The first seven of those were at Kemper Arena; this is the third at the Sprint Center. Kansas City was the site of the old Big Eight Tournaments and league offices. The Big 12 offices are in Dallas.
* The only Big 12 schools to never play in the conference tournament title game are Colorado, Nebraska and Texas A&M. The Aggies have the fewest Big 12 Tournament wins, with four. Every other conference school has at least six Big 12 Tournament wins.
Post a Comment